Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Gratitude

I have so much to be thankful for. My wife and I have been married for 6 years, and we are each others' anchors. Without her, I would not have found the confidence that landed me a permanent position with a great firm that pays me well. Without my push, she never would have left the job she hated to pursue higher education in a field where she will thrive. We make each other better people.

We are about to become homeowners. My wife's family is letting us take over the mortgage on the house we've been living in for 9 years, all the current equity having been taken out to repair the roof and foundation (daily, we curse the builders of the houses in this town).

There is so much going good with our lives now, but I want more. I was watching a show last night called Kitchen Nightmares. Fancy TV chef Gordon Ramsay goes and helps restaurateurs fix their failing businesses. One of the episodes I watched was of a family business that had been going since the 50s, and I was immediately struck by how much that is something I want.

Not the restaurant - lets not be crazy, the only things I knew how to cook into my 20s were scrambled eggs and spagetti - but the family business. What greater gift to give to your kids and grandkids than a living, a sense of where they come from? When I was quite little, I started working in my uncle's coffee house on weekends, and some days after school. I had to kneel on a wooden barstool to reach the espresso machine, and I was only just tall enough to set dirty dishes on the high counter of the sink. I was so proud to work there. I was a part of making a living for my family.

I'm getting antsy about the lack of shop space in the garage. We are storing a lot of bins and boxes for a couple of friends, it's all inventory for a yearly summer festival. They are going to put a shed in our backyard so we can get it out of there, but they got sick, and then we got sick, and then their kids got sick, and when we aren't sick we have other obligations, and so it's been delayed by months. Without more room to move around in there, I can't even get to most of our stuff, which desperately needs to be sorted, and purged. There was already a lot of crap in there when we moved in, and we've accumulated a lot more in the past nine years.

I'm so grateful that my problems have more to do with my ambition butting up against the constraints of time (and money, of course, there is very little in my life that an extra $10k wouldn't solve). I'm so close, I don't even have to close my eyes to see the place as it should be - as it will be.

1 comment:

  1. A family business sounds like an amazing dream! You'll get there!

    ReplyDelete